School of Art and Design
Applications accepted for fall only. NYSED: 36131 CIP: 50.0499
The major in Spatial Experience Design prepares students for opportunities in spatial experience fields, including careers in exhibition design, retail design, product display, events, stage and screen, brand environments and themed places and spaces. An internship is required. Curriculum below is for the entering class of fall 2023.
|MAJOR AREA||VP 302 - Overview of Spatial Experience Design||2|
|VP 303 - Space, Environment and Visualization||4|
|VP 312 - Product Presentation - Small Scale||2|
|VP 331 - Three-Dimensional Construction for Spatial Experience Design||2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see American History* G10||3|
|choice - see History of Art and Civilization*||3|
|MAJOR AREA||VP 304 - Brand, Spatial Experience and Retail Design||2|
|VP 305 - Placemaking, Wayfinding and Environmental Graphics||2|
|VP 306 - CAD for Spatial Experience||2|
|VP 314 - Product Presentation - Large Scale||2|
|RELATED AREA||CT 303 - Dynamic Branding||2|
|ID 241 - Lighting Design I||1.5|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Other World Civilizations* G9||3|
|MAJOR AREA||VP 400 - Portfolio and Careers in Spatial Experience Design||2|
|VP 411 - Interpretive Exhibition Design||2|
|VP 441 - Interpretive Exhibition Graphics||2|
|choice - see Major Area Elective*||1.5|
|RELATED AREA||choice - See Related Area Elective*||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Requirements*||3|
|choice - see Liberal Arts*||3|
|MAJOR AREA||VP 412 - Senior Design Project||4|
|RELATED AREA||BE 404 - Business for Visual Presentation||2|
|IC 497 - Senior Internship: Career Planning||3|
|choice - see Related Area Elective*||1.5-2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Liberal Arts*||3|
|TOTAL CREDIT REQUIREMENTS|
*Fall 2023 Requirements: See below.
Liberal Arts and Art History: 18 credits
- American History: 3 credits. CHOICE of any course that meets the General Education American History requirement (G10)
- English: 3 credits. CHOICE of 200- or 300-level EN writing course in semester seven
- Foreign Language or Modern Languages and Cultures: 6 credits. CHOICE of any Foreign Language or MC course (for which prerequisites have been met)
- History of Art and Civilization: 3 credits. CHOICE of any HA course (for which prerequisites have been met) not previously taken or required
- Other World Civilizations: 3 credits. CHOICE of any HA course that meets the General Education Other World Civilizations requirement (G9)
Related Area Elective(s): 4.5–5 credits total
Selective: 1.5–2 credits CHOOSE either ID 431 or CT 301 in semester seven or eight
Elective: 3 credits. CHOICE of any elective course(s) in Art and Design for which student has met the prerequisite(s)
Upon graduating from the Spatial Experience Design BFA program, students will be able to:
- Develop research techniques including trends analysis, brand review, interviews, and historical study.
- Master presentation skills utilizing reports, presentation boards, and multi-media.
- Manage the design process for a unique individual project from research, to concept, to final installation.
- Create physical and digital models of spaces, displays and details using a variety of materials and software tools.
- Develop techniques and methods for the placement and positioning of products and brands.
- Complete full fabrication documentation packages, including dimensioned drawings, and material specifications.
- Specify and research specialist and material support including lighting, props, and accessories in the development of fully realized displays and exhibitions.
- Create graphic approaches to environmental projects that include type, color, material, and methodology.