School of Art and Design
Applications accepted for fall only. NYSED: 00594 CIP: 50.0402
The Advertising and Digital Design BFA program prepares students to work as creatives at advertising and digital design agencies. The curriculum includes art direction, copywriting, strategy planning, creative content for social media, brand identity, and digital design courses that includes UX/UI and product design. Curriculum below is for the entering class of fall 2021.
|MAJOR AREA||AD 381 - Creative Principles||3|
|AD 383 - Strategy Planning and Brand Campaigns||2|
|RELATED AREA||CT 300 - Typography for Digital Content Design||2|
|CT 302 - Digital Product Design I||2|
|CT 303 - Dynamic Branding||2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Requirements*: Liberal Arts/History of Art G9||3|
|choice - see Requirements*: Liberal Arts/Social Sciences||3|
|MAJOR AREA||AD 315 - Art Direction and Design||3|
|AD 382 - Art and Copy||2|
|RELATED AREA||CT 304 - Design Systems for UX and UI||3|
|CT 372 - Typography for Digital Product Design||2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Requirements*: Liberal Arts/English||3|
|choice - see Requirements*: Liberal Arts Elective(s)||3|
|MAJOR AREA||AD 466 - Senior Portfolio||2|
|AD 482 - TV and Web Video||3|
|AD 494 - Senior Thesis Project Planning||2|
|RELATED AREA||CT 401 - User Experience (UX) and Interaction Design (IxD)||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Requirements*: Liberal Arts/History of Art||3|
|MAJOR AREA OR RELATED AREA ELECTIVES||choice - see Requirements*: AD/CT Electives||2|
|MAJOR AREA||AD 483 - Creative Case Studies||3|
|AD 498 - Senior Project||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Requirements*: Liberal Arts Elective(s)||3|
|MAJOR AREA OR RELATED AREA ELECTIVES||choice - see Requirements*: AD/CT Electives||4-5|
|TOTAL CREDIT REQUIREMENTS|
|MAJOR AREA OR RELATED AREA ELECTIVES||6-7|
*Fall 2021 Requirements: See below.
Liberal Arts: 18 credits
English: 3 credits. CHOICE of 200- or 300-level EN writing course in semester 6
- History of Art: 6 credits. CHOICE of one (1) HA course that meets General Education Other World Civilizations requirement (G9), and CHOICE of one (1) additional course. See the full list of Art/Design History courses under HA: History of Art and Civilization
- Social Sciences: 3 credits. CHOICE of SS 231, SS 232, SS 237, SS 334, SS 385 or SS 396
Liberal Arts Elective(s): 6 credits. Select Liberal Arts courses (for which prerequisites have been met) from the following subject areas: AB (Arabic); CH (Chinese); EN (English); FI (Film and Media Studies); FR (French); HA (History of Art); HE (Health Education) 201, 301; IT (Italian); JA (Japanese); MU (Music); HI (History); MA (Math); MC (Modern Languages and Cultures); PE (Physical Education and Dance) 215, 216, 217; PL (Philosophy); PO (Portuguese); SC (Science); SP (Spanish); and SS (Social Sciences). See Liberal Arts Courses
AD/CT Elective(s): 6-7 credits. CHOICE three (3) courses: AD 402 Idea Writing, AD 403 Brand Identity in Advertising Design, AD 404 Creative Content for Social Media, AD 491 Internship, CT 400 Digital Product Design II, CT 412 Content-centric App Design, CT 441 Creative Technology Lab
Students who complete the Advertising and Digital Design BFA program will be able to:
- Implement planning and research as the groundwork for the creative process.
- Develop art, copy, and technology solutions to solve social and client problems.
- Create executions, with an emphasis on contemporary design, that produce brand differentiation.
- Implement creative tools and innovative methodologies that design imaginative work in an on-demand industry.
- Identify the media channels for an effective integrated campaign.
- Assemble an advertising portfolio for both traditional and digital platforms.