School of Art and Design
Applications accepted for fall only. NYSED: 00669 CIP: 50.0404
The Packaging Design BFA program prepares students to work as creatives at global brand design agencies, in-house design departments with consumer products companies and across the array of brand-related industries. The curriculum includes the design process, brand strategy, brand identity for consumer products, design realization and production, sustainability and digital tools. Curriculum below is for the entering class of Fall 2020.
|MAJOR AREA||PK 317 - Design Process||3|
|PK 318 - Design Process Studio||3|
|PK 325 - Brand Identity Design for Consumer Products||2|
|PK 341 - Digital Tools I||2|
|RELATED AREA||CT 303 - Dynamic Branding||2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see EN choices*||3|
|MAJOR AREA||PK 319 - Strategic Design Studio||3|
|PK 342 - Digital Tools II||2|
|PK 343 - Explorations in 3D||2|
|PK 354 - Design Strategy||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Art History (G9)*||3|
|choice - see Requirements **||3|
|MAJOR AREA||PK 315 - Digital Prepress for Packaging Design||2|
|PK 418 - Experiential Brand Design Studio||3|
|PK 431 - Sustainable Packaging Design||2|
|PK 463 - Professional Practice||3|
|RELATED AREA||choice - see Related Area Electives**||2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Art History*||3|
|MAJOR AREA||PK 491 - Internship||3|
|PK 427 - Designer's Portfolio||3|
|RELATED AREA||choice - see Related Area Elective**||2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Requirements*||6|
|ELECTIVE||choice - General Elective||2|
|TOTAL CREDIT REQUIREMENTS|
Fall 2020 Requirements: see below
*Liberal Arts and Art History: 18 credits
- English: 3 credits. CHOICE of EN 266, EN 322, EN 325, EN 361, EN 362, EN 363, or EN 364
- History of Art: 6 credits. CHOICE of one (1) HA course that meets General Education Other World Civilizations requirement (G9) and one (1) additional HA course. See the full list of Art/Design History courses under HA: History of Art and Civilization.
- Liberal Arts electives: 9 credits. Select Liberal Arts courses (for which prerequisites have been met) from the following subject areas: AB (Arabic), CH (Chinese), EN (English), FI (Film & Media) - any FI course other than FI 205, 261, 361, 362, 461, and 462, FR (French), HA (History of Art), HE (Health Education) 201, 301, IT (Italian), JA (Japanese), MU (Music), HI (History), MA (Math), MC (Modern Languages & Cultures), PE (Physical Education & Dance) 215, 216, 217, PL (Philosophy), PO (Portuguese), SC (Science), SP (Spanish), and SS (Social Science).
**Related Area Electives: 4 credits
CHOICE of elective courses (for which prerequisites have been met) totaling 4 credits in Advertising Design (AD), Advertising and Marketing Communications (AC), Animation, Interactive Media & Game Design (CG), Creative Technologies (CT), Graphic Design (GD), Illustration (IL), Interior Design (ID), Photography (PH), Toy Design (TY), and Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design (DE and VP).
Upon completion of the Packaging Design BFA Program, students will be able to:
- Employ research and problem-solving methodology that apply analytical, critical, and strategic thinking skills.
- Utilize a design process that takes into consideration packaging design principles, innovation, creativity, and sustainability.
- Apply advanced design and technological abilities.
- Create design solutions that exemplify packaging design effectiveness in diverse consumer brand platforms.
- Apply oral and written abilities across all aspects of brand communication (presentation, portfolio and design projects) and business communications.