School of Art and Design
Applications accepted for fall only. NYSED: 87060 CIP: 50.0407
The Fabric Styling program prepares students for careers in product and still life styling, personal styling, photo styling for media, entertainment, advertising and editorial as well as for related industries such as brand and image consulting, trend forecasting and art direction. In the final semester an internship course offers students hands on experience. Curriculum below is for the entering class of fall 2021.
|MAJOR AREA||FS 323 - Beginning Digtial Design for Stylists||3|
|FS 331 - Fabric Styling I||3|
|RELATED AREA||ID 322 - Decorative Arts Survey||2|
|PH 162 - Photographic Styling||2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||SC 032 - Color Science Laboratory||1|
|SC 332 - Color and Light||3|
|MAJOR AREA||FS 324 - Digital Design and Page Layout||3|
|FS 341 - Role of Fabrics in Fashion: 1860 to Present||3|
|FS 451 - Color Combinations and Repeats||3|
|RELATED AREA||BE 261 - Starting a Small Business||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||hoice - see Requirements*: Liberal Arts/History of Art||3|
|MAJOR AREA||FS 425 - Advanced Digital Design for Stylists||3|
|FS 435 - Home Fashion Styling||2|
|FS 434 - Advanced Styling||2|
|RELATED AREA||AC 111 - Advertising and Promotion||3|
|VP 211 - Styling, Prop and Set||2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Requirements*||3|
|MAJOR AREA||FS 454 - Professional Portfolio Presentation||3|
|FS 491 - Internship||2|
|RELATED AREA||FM 228 - The Business of Fashion Styling||3|
|VP 402 - Styling for Professional Presentation||2.5|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Requirements*: Liberal Arts/History of Art||3|
|choice - see Requirements*||3|
|TOTAL CREDIT REQUIREMENTS|
*Fall 2021 Requirements: See below.
Liberal Arts: 16 credits
- History of Art: 6 credits. CHOICE of one (1) HA course that meets General Education Other World Civilizations requirement (G9), and one (1) additional HA course. See the full list of Art/Design History courses under HA: History of Art and Civilization.
- Foreign Language: 3 credits. CHOICE of any Foreign Language course (G8)
- Science: 4 credits. SC 032 and SC 332
Liberal Arts Elective(s): 3 credits. CHOICE of any course (for which prerequisites have been met) in AB (Arabic); CH (Chinese); EN (English); FI (Film and Media Studies); FR (French); HA (History of Art); HE (Health Education) 201, 301; IT (Italian); JA (Japanese); MU (Music); HI (History); MA (Math); MC (Modern Languages and Cultures); PE (Physical Education and Dance) 215, 216, 217; PL (Philosophy); PO (Portuguese); SC (Science); SP (Spanish); and SS (Social Sciences).
NOTE: For admission requirements, see program eligibility.
Upon graduating from the Fabric Styling BFA program, students will be able to:
- Trend forecast with proficiency.
- Construct professional trend presentation boards for a potential client’s needs.
- Research trends and use critical thinking to determine future style direction in both home furnishing and apparel fashion forecasting.
- Identify and analyze new forecasting trends from publications and cultural events.
- Research historical periods and translate this research into current trends.
- Communicate ideas clearly in both written and oral form.
- Work collaboratively as part of an organization in a professional manner with clients.
- Understand and adhere to deadlines.
- Use computer technology with ease and evaluate future innovative software for clients in the creation of forecasts and boards.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current and innovative manufacturing technology and processes in the field of fabric styling.