School of Business and Technology
Applications accepted for fall and spring. NYSED: 20788 HEGIS 0509
The major in Advertising and Marketing Communications provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to apply for entry-level positions in the communications industry, such as advertising management, advertising strategy and creative execution, public relations/publicity, fashion journalism, corporate communications, media planning, electronic media production, IMC management, and brand management. Curriculum below is for the entering class of Fall 2018.
|MAJOR AREA||AC 361 - Computer Applications for Marketing Communications||2|
|AC 362 - Video Studio Production G6||3|
|RELATED AREA||DM 435 - Internet Marketing||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||SS 242 - Microeconomics||3|
|MA 311 - Mathematical Modeling for Business Applications||3|
|choice - see Liberal Arts / Foreign Language*||3|
|MAJOR AREA||AC 321 - Principles of Public Relations||3|
|choice - see Major Area Electives**||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||MA 321 - Data Analysis for Business Applications||3|
|choice - see Liberal Arts / Foreign Language*||3|
|choice - see Liberal Arts *||3|
|MAJOR AREA||choice - See Internship or Major Area Electives**||6|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Liberal Arts*||9|
|MAJOR AREA||AC 411 - Brand Management||3|
|choice - see Internship or Major Area Electives **||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||choice - see Liberal Arts electives*||9|
|TOTAL CREDIT REQUIREMENTS|
Fall 2018 Requirements: see below
* Liberal Arts: 36 credits
- Economics: 6 credits. SS 242 and CHOICE of SS 343, SS 443, SS 445, or SS 446
- Writing: 3 credits. CHOICE of one of the following Writing courses: FI 256, EN 321, EN 361, EN 362, EN 363, or EN 364
- Foreign Language: 6 credits. Two semesters of the same foreign language, one of which must meet General Education Foreign Language requirement (G8)
- Mathematics: 6 credits. Mathematics Proficiency must be completed prior to enrolling in MA 311 or MA 321. MA 222 and Mathematics Proficiency must be completed prior to enrolling in MA 321
- Other World Civilizations: 3 credits. CHOICE of SS 353, SS 354, SS 355, SS 356, SS 374, SS 378, or SS 446
- Psychology: 3 credits. SS 237
- Liberal Arts electives: 9 credits. Select THREE (3) Liberal Arts courses from the following subject areas:
CH (Chinese), EN (English), FI (Film & Media) - any FI course other than FI 261, 361, 461, 362, and 462, FR (French), HA (History of Art), HE (Health Education) 201, 301, IT (Italian), JA (Japanese), MU (Music), HI (History), MA (Math), LA (Liberal Arts), MC (Modern Languages & Cultures), PE (Physical Education & Dance) 215, 216, 217, PL (Philosophy), SC (Science), SP (Spanish), and SS (Social Science). See Liberal Arts Courses.
** Major Area Electives/Internship: 12 credits
- CHOICE of four (4) courses: AC 232 Radio and TV Copywriting Workshop (3 cr.), AC 291 Campaign Plans and Presentations (3 cr.), AC 341 Magazine Journalism (3 cr.), AC 400 Feature Journalism: Writing Lifestyle and Arts Articles, AC 412 Creative Strategies (3 cr.), AC 413 Corporate Communications (3 cr.), AC 423 Special Events Marketing Public Relations (3 cr.), AC 424 Marketing Communications: An International Perspective (4 cr.), AC 425 Marketing Communications in China (3 cr.), AC 461 Electronic Media Production (3 cr.), AC 462 Video Field Production (3 cr.), AC 471 Media Planning (3 cr.), or AC 472 Social Media for Integrated Marketing Communications (3 cr.) or IC 497 Senior Internship C: Career Planning
An evening/weekend option is available for this degree program. The sequence of courses is the same as that listed on this page.
IF YOU ARE A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT
You may not apply directly to the bachelor's degree program. High school students should apply to a two-year Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree program and after completing that degree, with a minimum GPA of 2.0, apply to the two-year bachelor's program in Advertising and Marketing Communications.
IF YOU HAVE AN AAS FROM FIT
In Advertising and Marketing Communications: You may apply to the AMC BS program.
In another Business and Technology major or an AAS in Communication Design: You may apply to the AMC BS program. You will be required to complete the following bridge courses prior to the sixth semester:
See your academic advisor for more information.
In any other AAS program: You may apply to the AMC BS program after completing the one-year AAS program in Advertising and Marketing Communications. See your academic advisor for information.
IF YOU HAVE CREDITS OR A DEGREE FROM ANOTHER COLLEGE
You may apply to the AMC BS program as a transfer student if you meet one of the following criteria by the time you enroll at FIT:
- you will have an associate or bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college in a program that is equivalent to the AMC AAS program. Certain prerequisite or equivalent courses in the major area must be completed.
- you will have earned at least 60 credits toward a bachelor's degree in an equivalent or related program at a regionally accredited college.
A college program is equivalent if it contains the same major area and liberal arts distribution as the FIT Advertising and Marketing Communications program. Applicants from college programs that are not equivalent must apply to the AAS program.
Please note that FIT AAS students receive priority admissions consideration.