School of Business and Technology
Applications accepted for fall and spring. NYSED: 20789 HEGIS 0509
This overseas academic program leads to the bachelor’s degree in Fashion Business Management. Students spend semesters 5 and 6 in Florence, and semesters 7 and 8 in New York. Students must complete IT 111 before attending FBM in Florence. Curriculum below is for the entering class of Fall 2018.
|FM 226 - International Buying and Marketing (Major Area Elective)||3|
|FM 321 - Workshop in Apparel Merchandising||3|
|FM 361 - Leadership Development for Retailing||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||HA 212 - Renaissance Art in Florence G7||3|
|IT 111 - Elementary Italian (taken prior to Semester 5)||3|
|IT 112 - Italian II G8||3|
|SS 354 - Comparative Political Systems G9||3|
|FM 431 - Sales Management (Specialization)||3|
|FM 424 - Global Merchandising||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||EN 245 - Intercultural Communication||3|
|HA 344 - History of Western Costume|
or IT 213 - Italian III
|SS 242 - Microeconomics||3|
|MAJOR AREA||New York:|
|FM 324 - Business of Licensing (Specialization)||3|
|FM 325 - Financial Assortment and Planning||3|
|RELATED AREA||MG 306 - Information Systems: Case Analysis||2|
|LIBERAL ARTS||MA 321 - Data Analysis for Business Applications|
or 322 - Statistics, Machine Learning, and Data Mining
|EN 321 - Strategies of Business Communication||3|
|MAJOR AREA||New York:|
|FM 422 - Merchandising Strategies||3|
|LIBERAL ARTS||MA 311 - Mathematical Modeling for Business Applications|
or 300 - The Mathematics of Financial Life Management
|PL 431 - Philosophy: Ethics G7||3|
|choice - see Economics*||3|
|TOTAL CREDIT REQUIREMENTS|
Fall 2018 Requirements: see below
* Liberal Arts: 36 credits
- English & Speech: 6 credits. EN 321 and EN 245
- Economics: 6 credits. SS 242 and CHOICE of SS 343, SS 443, or SS 445
- Foreign Language: 6 credits. IT 111 must be taken prior to travel. Note that IT 213 can be taken as an optional liberal arts elective (after completion of the foreign language 6-credit requirement). TOTAL Liberal Arts Credits and General Education Summary with IT 111 Italian I (3 cr.) is 36.
- Liberal Arts Elective(s): 6 credits. HA 212 and (HA 344 or IT 213)
- Mathematics: 6 credits. Students must complete MA 222 prior to enrolling in MA 321 in the fifth semester. CHOICE of MA 311 or MA 331 or MA 300.
- Philosophy: 3 credits. PL 431
- Social Sciences: 3 credits. SS 354, which meets General Education Other World Civilizations requirement (G9)
IF YOU ARE A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT
You should apply to the two-year Associate in Applied Science (AAS) program. High school students may not apply directly to the Bachelor of Science (BS) program. On completing the AAS, many students choose to apply to the two-year BS program.
IF YOU HAVE AN AAS FROM FIT
You may apply to the bachelor's degree program. Graduates of this program may apply to the Bachelor of Science (BS) program in Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing, Direct and Interactive Marketing, Fashion Business Management, Home Products Development, International Trade and Marketing for the Fashion Industries, Production Management: Fashion and Related Industries, or Textile Development and Marketing. If you complete certain prerequisite courses, you may apply to the Advertising and Marketing Communications BS program.
NOTE: FM 114 and 244, MG 153, MA 222, SS 141, and TS 111 are considered bridge courses for this major, and must be completed prior to fifth (5) semester for students accepted into the BS program from non-FBM Associate Degree programs. See your advisor for more information.
IF YOU HAVE CREDITS OR A DEGREE FROM ANOTHER COLLEGE
You may apply to the bachelor's degree program as a transfer student if you meet one of the following criteria by the time you enroll at FIT:
- you will have earned an associates or bachelor's degree in a program that is exactly equivalent to the FIT Fashion Merchandising Management AAS program.
- you will have earned at least 60 credits toward a bachelor's degree in an equivalent or related program.
A college program is equivalent if it contains the same major area and liberal arts distribution as the FIT Fashion Merchandising Management AAS program. Applicants from college programs that are not equivalent must apply to the AAS program.
Please note that FIT AAS students receive priority admissions consideration to the Bachelor level.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION TO THE ONE-YEAR ASSOCIATE DEGREE PROGRAM (ON CAMPUS AND ONLINE)
The application for one-year AAS programs is the same application used for the two-year programs. Once the application is filed, an official college transcript from each institution should be forwarded to the Admissions Office showing all completed coursework and, if applicable, degree and date granted.
In order to be eligible for the one-year program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Graduation from a four-year college or completion of at least 30 transferable credits at a college with a minimum of 24 credits equivalent to FIT's liberal arts requirements: 3 credits in college-level mathematics above basic algebra; 3 credits in English composition; 3 credits in literature or speech; 3 credits in physical science, biology, or life science; 12 credits in the humanities/social sciences; and one course in physical education.