School of Art and Design
Applications accepted for fall only. NYSED: 00760 CIP: 50.0402
The major in Communication Design Foundation is a foundation program that provides qualified students the opportunity to advance to baccalaureate programs in Advertising & Digital Design, Graphic Design, Packaging Design, and Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design, as well as entry-level positions in advertising agencies, graphic and corporate communications companies, and publishing firms. Curriculum below is for the entering class of fall 2021.
|MAJOR AREA||CD 116 - Design Studio Intensive I||3|
|CD 126 - Digital Graphics Intensive I||2|
|CD 173 - Typography I||2|
|RELATED AREA||AD 216 - Foundation in Advertising Digital Design||2|
|DE 216 - Foundation in Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design||2|
|GD 216 - Foundation in Graphic Design||2|
|PK 216 - Foundation in Packaging Design||2|
|MAJOR AREA||CD 217 - Capstone Design Studio||3|
|CD 226 - Digital Graphics Intensive II||2|
|CD 232 - Visual Language||2|
|CD 234 - Color Studies||2|
|CD 235 - Design History||3|
|CD 273 - Typography II||2|
|RELATED AREA||CT 244 - Introduction to Web Design||2|
|TOTAL CREDIT REQUIREMENTS|
Students who successfully complete the Communication Design AAS program will be able to:
- Apply two- and three-dimensional foundation principles to visual literacy problems.
- Recognize and create effective typographic hierarchies as part of original graphic design solutions.
- Apply research, analysis, and critical thinking skills to the various stages of effective communication design development from concept sketching to complete comprehensive.
- Create well-executed projects with appropriate attention to detail, using both digital and hand skills.
- Demonstrate professionalism and confidence in individual and group projects and presentations, which include the combination of oral, written, and visual skills.
- Develop design solutions that address the parallel relationships between advertising design, graphic design, packaging design, and visual presentation and exhibition design.