SCHOOL OF ART AND DESIGN
Applications accepted for fall only. NYSED: 00760 CIP: 50.0402
The major in Communication Design Foundation is a foundation program that provides qualified students the opportunity to advance to baccalaureate programs in Advertising & Digital Design, Graphic Design, Packaging Design, and Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design, as well as entry-level positions in advertising agencies, graphic and corporate communications companies, and publishing firms. Curriculum below is for the entering class of fall 2023.
|MAJOR AREA||CD 116 - Design Studio Intensive I||3|
|CD 126 - Digital Graphics Intensive I||2|
|CD 173 - Typography I||2|
|RELATED AREA||AD 217 - Advertising and Digital Design: Principles, Processes, and Practices||2|
|DE 216 - Foundation in Spatial Experience Design||2|
|GD 216 - Foundation in Graphic Design||2|
|PK 216 - Foundation in Packaging Design||2|
|MAJOR AREA||CD 217 - Capstone Design Studio||3|
|CD 226 - Digital Graphics Intensive II||2|
|CD 232 - Visual Language||2|
|CD 234 - Color Studies||2|
|CD 235 - Design History||3|
|CD 273 - Typography II||2|
|RELATED AREA||CT 244 - Introduction to Web Design||2|
|TOTAL CREDIT REQUIREMENTS|
Online Degree Option
The online degree is designed to give students flexibility in earning an Associate of Applied Science degree (see Online Degree Programs for additional information).
Students who successfully complete the Communication Design AAS program will be able to:
- Apply two- and three-dimensional foundation principles to visual literacy problems.
- Recognize and create effective typographic hierarchies as part of original graphic design solutions.
- Apply research, analysis, and critical thinking skills to the various stages of effective communication design development from concept sketching to complete comprehensive.
- Create well-executed projects with appropriate attention to detail, using both digital and hand skills.
- Demonstrate professionalism and confidence in individual and group projects and presentations, which include the combination of oral, written, and visual skills.
- Develop design solutions that address the parallel relationships between advertising design, graphic design, packaging design, and visual presentation and exhibition design.