SCHOOL OF ART AND DESIGN
The major in Textile/Surface Design prepares students for careers in the textiles, fashion, home furnishings, and related industries as textile designers, colorists, and freelance entrepreneurs. The curriculum focuses on the creative design process, product development, and technical, and digital skills for woven and printed fabrics, and decorative home products. Curriculum below is for the entering class of fall 2022.
|MAJOR AREA||TD 114 - Computer Aided Print Design||3|
|TD 126 - Textile Design Studio Practices||3|
|TD 138 - Introduction to Woven Design||2.5|
|TD 141 - Nature Studies||1.5|
|TD 155 - Decorative Fabrics||2|
|TD 161 - Fundamentals of Screen Printing||2|
|MAJOR AREA||TD 202 - Advanced Professional Practices||3|
|TD 206 - Advanced Home Textiles||2|
|TD 207 - Adobe Illustrator for Textile/Surface Design||2|
|TD 238 - Woven Design and CAD||3|
|TD 262 - Advanced Screen Printing||3|
|RELATED AREA||TS 111 - Fundamentals of Textiles||3|
|TOTAL CREDIT REQUIREMENTS|
Upon graduating from the Textile/Surface Design AAS program, students will be able to:
- Conduct structured research; analyze cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on textile surface design products and use information to develop creative design concepts.
- Think critically, including the ability to evaluate visual information and compare diverse perspectives, as well as come to fundamental conclusions and interpret information to produce original designs for appropriate textile markets.
- Apply comprehensive textile design skills to design textiles through painting, weaving, screen printing, and demonstrate basic skills in drawing, repeat creation, and color application.
- Apply fundamental computer skills to complement traditional design skills and develop original designs using CAD as a tool including basic technical preparation of designs for production.
- Communicate ideas and express project concepts using foundational visual, oral, and written presentation skills, including the use of appropriate industry vocabulary.
- Discuss global and cultural issues affecting the textile/surface design industry.