Providing an advanced course of study in disciplines closely tied to the creative and business industries, the School of Graduate Studies offers four Master of Arts (MA) programs, two Master of Fine Arts (MFA) programs, and two Master of Professional Studies (MPS) programs. Highly focused and professionally oriented, FIT’s graduate programs provide students with the opportunity to develop critical thinking capability, eloquent and effective communication skills, creative business acumen, and technical expertise.
Our graduates are highly sought after in their fields. The majority of MA and MFA program graduates are currently employed in creative professions. Working as curators, registrars, educators, conservators, auction house and art gallery staff, and corporate curators and advisors, graduates in Art Market and Fashion and Textile Studies: History, Theory, Museum Practice have found positions at the Guggenheim Museum, Christie’s, Seoul Auction House, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Museum of Modern Art, the Asia Society, and the Smithsonian Institution. Those enrolled in the studio-intensive programs of Exhibition and Experience Design and Illustration graduate with a highly competitive portfolio, a strong network of industry contacts, and relevant experience. Students in the Global Fashion Management and the Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing and Management MPS programs are already established in their fields and maintain full-time employment in the industry while working toward their degree, which provides the basis for advancement to positions of greater managerial responsibility.
School of Graduate Studies Mission Statement
The School of Graduate Studies:
- provides accessible, student-centered graduate education in the specialized fields of art, design, business, and technology;
- instills in its students the expertise and confidence to make significant, creative contributions to their professional environments;
- fosters leadership and innovative thinking through scholarship, research, and professional development;
- facilitates cross-disciplinary opportunities for its students and faculty;
- acts as an interdisciplinary center of academic and creative excellence that anticipates the evolving needs of the communities, industries, and institutions it serves;
- strengthens global educational partnerships through curricular innovation and faculty and student exchange.